Earlier on in the week, when I made the spinach, or spanakopita pesto pasta I made sure to keep some of the pesto left over for something new. I had come across the idea of using a pesto in a grilled cheese sandwich and it was the perfect time to try one. I have been experimenting with grilled cheese sandwiches for a while now. It all started when I first tried adding some jam to one then I moved on to chutneys and now it was time to try a pesto grilled cheese sandwich. Since the spinach pesto had some Greek flavours going on I decided to use a Greek cheese, graviera, in the sandwich. The spinach pesto sandwich with graviera was amazing! The flavourful pesto worked really well in a grilled cheese sandwich! Although the graviera did not melt quite as well as I had hoped for it was still really tasty and it rounded out the sandwich nicely. I can't wait to experiment with more pesto grilled cheese sandwiches.!
Spinach Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes Servings: 1
A tasty spinach pesto smothered in ooey gooey melted cheese and wrapped in buttery golden brown grilled bread.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices bread
- 1/2 cup graviera or gruyere, grated
- 1-3 tablespoons spinach (aka spanakopita) pesto
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread, sprinkle half of the cheeses on the inside of one slice of bread, top with the spinach pesto, the remaining cheese and finally the other slice of bread.
- Add the sandwich and grill until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.