The other day I got a reader request for an asparagus grilled cheese sandwich topped with an egg which sounded good. I was immediatly thinking about a croque-madame which is a grilled ham and cheese sandwich topped with an egg and I was thinking a fried egg. It was the end of the week however, and although I was lucky enough to have some asparagus left in the fridge, I was fresh out of eggs so I had to settle for just an asparagus grilled cheese sandwich. Since this sandwich was only going to have a few ingredients, I decided to roast the asparagus to enhance its natural flavour. For the sandwich, I started with a whole grain bread with a slight sweetness to it and I added some oka cheese that I had in the fridge that needed to be finished. (I would also have easily gone with some gruyere if I had had some on hand.) I finished the sandwich off with a hit of grainy mustard to add even more flavour and a bit of bite. I have to say, this roasted asparagus grilled cheese sandwich is one really nice way to enjoy some fresh summer asparagus!
Asparagus Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 6-8 stalk asparagus (trimmed and cleaned)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1 slice oka cheese (or your favorite, gruyere would also be really nice)
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 tablespoon butter (room temperature)
- Toss the asparagus in the oil, salt and pepper.
- Arrange the asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast in a preheated 400F oven until tender, about 10-30 minutes. (Note: Roasting time can vary greatly depending on how thick your asparagus is.)
- Assemble sandwich and grill until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side.