When I am meal planning, I often like to make things that are similar right next to each other to ensure that I use all of the ingredients and that there are no leftover components sitting in the fridge forever. While I was thinking about the buffalo wing dip , it reminded me something else that I have been wanting to try making for a while, a bbq chicken pizza. A bbq chicken pizza is basically a pizza with barbecue sauce instead of a tomato sauce that is topped with grilled chicken, onions and cheese. I have experimented with replacing the tomato sauce on pizzas before and I have alway been happy with the results so I was looking forward to trying a bbq sauce based pizza. At one point, I was thinking about just using hot sauce but I figured that a homemade bbq sauce would be even better and I had just picked up some liquid smoke that I wanted to try adding to give it a hickory smoke aroma.
The bbq chicken pizza turned out really well! The sweet and spicy hot bbq sauce was simply amazing as a pizza sauce all covered in melted cheese and the smoky aroma took it over the edge. Barbecue chicken is always good and the combination was definitely a winner on this pizza. Now I am looking forward to having the leftovers for breakfast.
BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 1/2 pound chicken breast (boneless and skinless)
- 1 pizza dough
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1 handful red onion (sliced)
- 1/2 cup gouda (grated)
- 1 cup mozzarella (grated)
- 1 ounce blue cheese (crumbled)
- 1 handful cilantro (chopped)
- Grill the chicken until just cooked all the way through, remove from heat, let sit and then slice it into 1/4 inch slices.
- Roll the pizza dough out on a lightly floured surface.
- Spread the bbq sauce over the dough followed by the chicken, onion, and cheeses.
- Bake in a preheated 500F oven until golden brown, about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve garnished with the chopped cilantro.