The only ting missing from my Korean bbq pulled pork sandwich meal was a side and I was thinking of another summer classic, the potato salad. Given the Korean flavour theme that I had going for the rest of the meal wanted to continue it with the potato salad and I knew exactly what I wanted to do, a kimchi sweet potato salad. I figured that the sweetness of sweet potatoes would go nicely with the spicy hot kimchi. Normally potatoes for a potato salad are boiled but I always like roasting sweet potatoes and since it has been a bit cooler over the last few days I did not mind having the oven on as much. I always enjoy pairing bacon with kimchi and it looked like it would be a perfect fit in this potato salad as well. Potato salads are most commonly bound together with mayonnaise and I could not resist adding some gochujang for even more spiciness.
The kimchi and roasted sweet potato salad exceeded all of my expectations with the combination forming something much more than the sum of the parts! The spicy and creamy gochujang mayo, the crunchy kimchi, the salty bacon and the warm, sweet roasted potatoes came together to create something magical. I have to say that I enjoyed this potato salad most when it was freshly made and still warm from the potatoes roasting in the oven. I warmed the left over up in the microwave for a few seconds as well before eating them. This potato salad was the perfect finish to my Korean bbq pulled pork meal!
Kimchi Sweet Potato Salad
- 2 sweet large potatoes (peeled and cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 slices bacon (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons gochujang
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup kimchi (drained and chopped)
- 2 green onions (sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (toasted)
- Toss the sweet potatoes in the oil.
- Spread the potatoes out in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast the potatoes in a preheated 400F/200C oven until the potatoes are nice and tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the bacon, drain and set aside.
- Mix the gochujang and mayonnaise.
- Mix everything.