Next up for the fresh local strawberries that I picked up at the farmers market on the weekend are these strawberry and mascarpone crepes inspired by the latest issue of Food & Drink. You really can't go wrong with strawberries and cream but you can make them even better by wrapping them in warm, light and fluffy crepes. This recipe gets its creamy component from mascarpone and it lightens it up a bit by using half mascarpone and half plain yogurt. Strawberries are mixed in with the cream filling and the crepes are finished off with a drizzle of freshly made strawberry syrup. These crepes make for a really nice weekend breakfast or brunch or even a light weekday meal. I can pretend that it is crepe, no I mean pancake Tuesday. :)
Strawberry and Mascarpone Crepes with Strawberry Syrup
- 2 cups strawberries (cleaned, hulled and sliced)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 batch crepes
- strawberry syrup (see below)
- Mix the strawberries and sugar and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix the mascarpone, yogurt and sugar and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the crepes.
- Mix the strawberries into the mascarpone.
- Assemble crepes, top with the strawberry syrup and enjoy.
Strawberry Syrup Strawberry Syrup
- 1 pound strawberries (hulled and sliced)
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- Simmer the strawberries, water, and sugar in a small sauce pan for 20 minutes. (If you want thicker syrup continue simmering until you get the desired consistency.)
- Strain the solids out with a fine sieve. (Optional; If you do, retain the strawberries and serve them hot on vanilla ice cream.)
- Let cool and enjoy.