The farmers market has been overflowing with fresh local fruits and vegetables lately. There are so many good options that I have to pick and choose what to get and this week I went for the apricots which looked phenomenal. I had recently came across the idea of apricot and ginger muffins that sounded really good and I could not wait to try them out. For the recipe, I started out with my favourite muffin recipe and added ginger in the form of both fresh ginger and candied ginger, and topped them off with some sliced apricots. I like this muffin recipe so much because it contains lots to good stuff including rolled oats, whole wheat flour, vanilla yogurt, maple syrup and even an overripe banana. In addition to being fairly healthy this muffin recipe always bakes up nice and light and fluffy and moist and full of flavour. I really like the way the ginger worked in the muffins and the little bits of candied ginger added a great texture. Of course the baked on, slightly caramelized apricot topping stole the show and took these muffins above and beyond. I am certainly looking forward to enjoying these apricot and ginger muffins for breakfast this week!
Apricot and Ginger Muffins
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 over ripe banana (mashed)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons crytalized ginger (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger (grated)
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 apricots (stoned and cut in half)
- Mix the brown sugar, maple syrup, yogurt, banana, oil, egg, crystalized ginger, fresh ginger and rolled oats in a bowl and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased muffin pan.
- Top each muffin with a half an apricot.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until a toothpick pushed into the center of a muffin comes out clean, for about 25 minutes.