Recently I have been working on a few Thai inspired projects that have just been begging for a Thai inspired coleslaw and after a bit of thought I came up with this one. I wanted to try doing this slaw without cabbage and so I needed a main ingredient for it that was nice and crunchy and I figured that fresh bean sprouts would be perfect. The next thing that came to mind was some vibrant red sweet pepper, thinly sliced, and of course carrots were also in. Next I padded the slaw with some fresh herbs including cilantro, mint and some green onions. For the dressing I went with a mix of fish sauce for saltiness, lime juice for tartness, sugar for sweetness, birds eye chilies for heat and some coconut milk to smooth things out.
Thai Style Slaw
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 large carrot (julienned)
- 1 red pepper (thinly sliced)
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 1 handful cilantro (chopped)
- 1 handful mint (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (or soy sauce for vegetarian)
- 1 lime (juice)
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (grated)
- 1 birds eye chili (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon roasted peanuts (chopped)
- Mix the bean sprouts, carrot, red pepper, green onion, cilantro and mint in a large bowl.
- Mix the coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and birds eye chili in a small bowl.
- Toss the salad in the dressing and sprinkle with chopped peanuts.