For me the center piece of the Thanksgiving dinner is definitely the turkey. Because I am not usually cooking for a huge family I generally find it easier to just get a turkey breast rather than a whole turkey. Turkey breasts can come quite large with the one that I got this time weighing in at 6 pounds without any bones so you can easily feed a small family with just one. Although I sometimes miss not having the whole carcass to use to make turkey stock I definitely enjoy using the leftovers that I do get to make turkey sandwiches with cranberry sauce.
Since I knew that I would be going a bit overboard with one of the side dishes this year, I decided to keep things simple and I went with a herb roasted turkey breast with some sage, rosemary and thyme. When you are roasting a turkey you simply cannot let those pan drippings go to waste as they make for a really tasty gravy! Just like Thanksgiving would not be the same without turkey, the turkey would not be the same without some cranberry sauce and this year I went with a gingered cranberry sauce. For the carb side, I went with some creamy blue cheese mashed potatoes topped with caramelized onions and mushrooms and for the green side, I went with some brussels sprouts with bacon and lemon. This years turkey dinner was a huge success!
Herb Roasted Turkey Breast
A simple herb roasted turkey breast that makes a great Thanksgiving meal for a small gathering.
Servings: makes 4+ servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sage, chopped
- 2 teaspoons thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (6 pound) turkey breast, skin on, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 onion, cut into thick wedges
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the oil, garlic, sage, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper and rub the mixture all over turkey breast.
- Place the carrots, celery and onions in the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Place the turkey breast on top of the vegetables in the pan.
- Roast in a 325F oven until the middle of the turkey gets to 160F, about 1.5-2 hours.
- Place the turkey on a cutting board and cover loosely with foil. Let it rest for about 10 minutes.
- Mix the flour, chicken stock, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of the turkey drippings in a sauce pan and simmer until it thickens.
Parmesan and Sage Roasted Turkey Breast
Maple and Chipotle Roasted Turkey Breast
The Perfect Roast Beef
Use leftovers in:
Roast Turkey Sandwich with Cranberry Sauce
Grilled Turkey and Brie Sandwich with Cranberry Chutney
Roast Turkey Cuban Sandwich
Roast Turkey Sandwich with Artichoke Tapenade, Caramelized Onions and Roasted Red Peppers
The Kimchi Rachel Sandwich (aka Roast Turkey Reuben Sandwich with Kimchi)