Although I can sometimes go all out with the holiday cookie baking, I try to not to forget about savoury treats which are always a welcome change. A couple of years ago I discovered a savoury baked brie with cranberry sauce that was so amazingly good and I have been hooked ever since. When I came across a recipe for baked brie topped with mushrooms on Mushooms Canada there was no question as to what savoury appetizer I was going be making this year.
The idea is pretty simple; you saute and caramelize some mushrooms and onions, toss them on some brie and bake it until the cheese belts. To make things even easier on a busy day, you could cook the mushrooms the day before and then just bring them to room temperature before putting them on the brie and baking.
The baked brie topped with caramelized mushrooms was everything that I had been hoping for and then some! When I cut into the brie it came pouring out under the weight of the heaping pile of mushrooms on top of it. I served the baked brie and mushrooms with toasted baguette slices and scooped the mushrooms covered in melted gooey brie on top of them.
Baked Brie Topped with Caramelized Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (cleaned and quartered)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup white wine (or madeira or broth or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar)
- 1 (8 ounce) wheel of brie
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- 1 baguette (sliced)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onion and cook until it starts to caramelize, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until they start to caramelize, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the wine, deglaze the pan and cook until it has evaporated.
- Place the brie on an oven proof serving platter, top with the mushrooms and bake in a preheated 350F oven until the cheese melts, about 8-10 minutes. (Optional: Cut the top off of the brie and let the mushrooms melt right into the brie.)