Enough with reminiscing about holiday cookies past, it is time to kick off this years holiday cookie baking! First up on the list was a classic, coconut macaroons ; not to be confused with macarons . Coconut macaroons are really simple containing just shredded coconut, sugar and egg whites to hold it all together. You bake them in the oven until they turn a nice light golden brown on the outside and after they cool they have an amazing slightly crisp outer layer but the inside is nice and moist and tender and oh so good! If you are a fan of coconut then these macaroons are definitely for you! For a lighter and fluffier version you can beat the egg whites and sugar until they form stiff peaks before folding in the coconut. Speaking of coconut, one of the best things to pair coconut with is chocolate and I could not resist drizzling some melted dark chocolate over my coconut macaroons!
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 ounces dark chocolate (shaved)
- Mix the egg whites, vanilla, sugar and coconut in a bowl.
- Spoon the batter onto a parchment paper lined baking pan with 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons of batter per cookie.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until lightly golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- Let cool for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a double boiler and dip the macaroons in the chocolate or drizzle the chocolate on the macaroons.