I have been enjoying some really great omelettes lately! The omelettes that I have been making have been packed with flavour and in fact with the ingredients in them they have been looking a lot more like pizzas. The thought of a pizza like omelette was perfect because the kimchi, bacon and shiitake mushroom pizza that I had made earlier in the week had disappeared way too quickly and I was left craving more. I immediatly set about drawing up a recipe and I started with the basic ingredients of the pizza.
The omelettes that I have been making have been one pan omelettes where I cooked the ingredients and then poured the eggs over them. I made sure that the ingredients in them were large enough to peak through the eggs when I poured them into the pan so that you could see them when eating the omelette. This time however the ingredients did not have the height required so I was forced to change tactics a bit. It was easy enough though and I just cooked the bacon, mushrooms and kimchi and set them aside added the eggs and let them start to cook before adding the cheese followed by the rest of the ingredients so that they cooked into the top of the omelette as the eggs set. The kimchi, bacon and shiitake mushroom omelette turned out great! The flavour combination was of course amazing and it really worked well held together by warm fluffy eggs and melted cheddar cheese. Given that the omelette version is so easy to make I think that I will be making it fairly often from now on!
Kimchi, Bacon and Shiitake Mushroom Omelette(makes 1 omelette)
2 strips bacon (cut into 1/2 inch pieces, optional)
2 shiitake mushrooms (sliced)
1/2 cup kimchi (drained and chopped)
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1/4 cup cheddar cheese (grated, optional)
1 green onion (sliced)
1. Cook the bacon in a pan until just cooked.
2. Add the mushrooms and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes. (Saute in oil for a vegetarian version. Adding a bit of toasted sesame oil would add a ton of great flavour)
3. Add the kimchi and saute until most of the excess moisture has cooked off, about 2-3 minutes, set aside and let cool.
4. Pour the eggs into the pan and cook without disturbing them until they are just about to set, about 2 minutes.
5. Sprinkle on the cheese and let it start to melt, about a minute.
6. Sprinkle on kimchi, bacon and shiitake mixture and continue to cook until the eggs are done, about a minute.
6. Remove from heat and serve garnished with the green onions.
Kimchi, Bacon and Shiitake Mushroom Pizza
Mushroom and Thyme Omelette with Gorgonzola
Caramelized Pear and Gorgonzola Omelette with Bacon and Pecans
Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Omelette with Gorgonzola and Sage
Zucchini and Kimchi Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust
Kimchi Jun (Kimchi Pancake)
Spinach and Feta Omelette
Guacamole Omelette with Salsa