With the big football game quickly approaching I have been getting some snack recipes together for the party. The burger dip that I made last week got me thinking about hot cheesy dips and one my favourites has to be this taco dip! Since I last made this dip I have learned a few things and I was just itching to make it again and apply what I had learned. The first thing that I wanted to change was to make it in a wider dish since I had discovered that it works really well for hot cheesy dips when I made the pizza dip. The burger dip that I made last week taught me that topping a hot dip with fresh ingredients makes it even better, as hard as that is to believe! If any dip deserves to be topped with fresh ingredients it is this taco dip as tacos are commonly filled with fresh ingredients!
This dip starts out with some ground beef cooked in a tasty taco seasoning and then it moves on to your standard hot cheese base of cream cheese, mayo and sour cream and then it finishes with salsa and both jack and cheddar cheese. Next, the dip is thrown into the oven and baked until the cheese has melted, the top has turned golden brown and the sides are bubbling. After the dip is pulled out it is topped with your favourite taco filling ingredients such as fresh lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, sliced olives, avocado, sour cream, etc.
Just look at all of that melted cheesy goodness!
You still can't loose if you make it the old fashioned way without any toppings.
Of course you certainly do not need to wait for the big football game to make a batch or two of this! It is amazing no matter when you serve it and it works great for any kind of social gatherings.
A hot melted cheese dip inspired by the flavours of tacos! Serve topped with lettuce, tomatoes and avocados along with some tortilla chips for dipping.
Servings: makes 4+ servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded (optional)
- 1 tomato, diced (optional)
- 1 avocado, diced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sliced black olives (optional)
- 1 handful cilantro (optional)
- Brown the ground beef in a pan, drain the grease add the taco seasoning and water, mix and simmer until the water evaporates.
- Mix the beef, cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, salsa and cheeses in a large bowl, reserving some of the cheese.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish and top with the reserved cheese, bake in a preheated 350F oven until it is bubbling on the sides and golden brown on top, about 20-30 minutes.
Slow Cooker: Implement step 1, mix everything, place it in the slow cooker and cook until the cheese is nice and melted about 1-2 hours on high or 2-4 hours on low.
Option: Serve topped with fresh shredded lettuce, tomato, avocado, olives and cilantro.
Chorizo Queso Fundido
Taco Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Chipotle Lime Shrimp and Guacamole Dip with Tomatoes and Charred Corn
Chicken Enchilada Dip
Tasty Tailgate Party Recipes