With the cold dreary winter days that we have been having lately I have been craving the taste of summer and what better than a grilled chicken salad? This salad had been on my mind for a while now and I had been saving it for the summer but I decided to indulge a bit and make it now. The basic idea was a satay style marinated grilled chicken on a green salad. I kept the salad simple with a base of romaine lettuce, creamy avocado, cucumbers and some green onions. Normally I like to serve chicken satay with a spicy peanut dipping sauce but for a salad I decided to turn that into a spicy peanut dressing. The peanut sauce is a bit on the thicker side so I needed to add some liquids to thin it out a bit and I went with some Thai inspired ingredients including coconut milk, lime juice and fish sauce. I then added even more spiciness in the form of a few birds eye chillies and I balanced things out with a touch of sugar.
This salad is such an amazing combination of flavour and textures! The marinated chicken was so tasty all by itself and the peanut dressing took it over the edge. Every once in a while you would hit a bit of fiery birds eye chili and then the next bite of cool and creamy avocado was all the more welcome and then the crispy and juicy cucumber cleansed your palette and left you wanting for more. What a perfect escape and reminder of warmer days.
Chicken Satay Salad in Spicy Peanut Dressing
A tender and juicy Thai style grilled chicken satay salad with creamy avocados, juicy cucumbers and a spicy peanut dressing that is just packed with fresh flavours
- 1 batch Thai satay marinade
- 1 pound chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
- 4 cups salad greens
- 2 avocados (stoned, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 small cucumber (sliced)
- 4 green onions (sliced)
- 1 handful cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 cup peanut sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 birds eye chilies (sliced)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanuts (roasted and chopped)
- Marinate the chicken in the Thai satay marinade in the fridge for 1 hour to overnight.
- Grill the chicken over med-high heat until cooked and slightly charred, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes and then slice it thinly.
- Mix the salad greens, avocado, cucumber, green onion and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Mix the peanut sauce, coconut milk, lime juice, fish sauce, chili and sugar.
- Toss the salad and dressing.
- Divide the salad between four plates, top with the chicken and garnish with the chopped peanuts.
Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
Thai Chicken Pizza with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Thai Chicken 'Mole'
Buffalo Chicken Salad
Bacon Double Cheese Burger Salad
Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas in Creamy Avocado Sauce
Spicy Peanut Chicken Rice Bowl
Sweet Chili Chicken Salad
Thai Sweet Chili Dressing
Banh Mi Chicken Salad
Vietnamese Summer Roll Salad
Roasted Pumpkin and Green Bean Quinoa Salad in Thai Peanut Dressing
Thai Peanut Chicken Saute