I have really been into the po'boy sandwich ever since I discovered them not too long ago. One of the things that I like about po'boy sandwich is that there are a lot of different ways of making them and my favourite up until now has been the spicy shrimp po'boy with remoulade sauce. I recently came across a new interpretation of the sandwich in the form of a fried tuna ball po'boy on Eatin' on the Cheap and I just had to try it! In essence this is just a simple tuna salad that is formed into a ball, fried until nice and golden brown and crispy and then thrown into a sandwich along with a tasty remoulade sauce. It is hard to go wrong with deep frying and these tuna balls are addictively good with their crispy outsides and their soft, warm and tasty insides. I finished the sandwiches off with some crisp and tangy homemade pickled green tomatoes . I now have a new favourite po'boy sandwich and I am already looking forward to making them again sometime soon!
Fried Tuna Ball Po Boy
Tasty tuna balls fried until golden brown and crispy served in a po boy with tangy remoulade sauce and tangy pickled green tomatoes.
- 2 cans tuna, drained
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- oil for frying
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 baguette, sliced in half both ways to form two sandwiches
- 1/2 cup lettuce, sliced
- 1/2 cup pickled green tomatoes or tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup remoulade sauce
- Mix the tuna, green onions, egg, mayonnaise, worcestershire sauce, mustard, and cajun seasoning along with enough bread crumbs that the mixture holds together well.
- Heat 1/2 inch on oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Form the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls and roll them in the bread crumbs to coat.
- Fry the tuna balls in oil until golden brown on all sides and set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Assemble sandwich and enjoy.