I had still had some corned beef left over and with corned beef, cabbage and kimchi burritos and reuben sandwiches on my mind, I naturally thought about combing them to create the kimchi reuben sandwich. This reuben sandwich has two forms of fermented cabbage with the sauerkraut and the kimchi and the combination is pretty amazing. The sauekraut brings a nice light tanginess and the kimchi brings some flavour packed heat. As with the regular reuben, you have to be concerned about the amount of liquid going into the sandwich and I find the best way to deal with it is to lightly saute the sauekraut and kimchi to remove any excess moisture. I have to say that I quite enjoyed the heat that the kimchi added to the sandwich and the kimchi went particularly well with the creamy Russian dressing to which I added a touch of gochujang.
Kimchi Reuben Sandwich
A reuben sandwich with the spicy hit of butter sauteed kimchi.
Servings: make 1 sandwich
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 tablespoons kimchi, squeezed and drained, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sauerkraut, squeezed and drained, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 slices rye, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup swiss, shredded, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon russian dressing
- 2 ounces cooked corned beef, sliced or shredded, warm
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat until it bubbles, add the kimchi and sauerkraut and saute until most of the moisture has evaporated, about 2-3 minutes.
- Heat a clean non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread, sprinkle half of the cheese on the inside of one slice of bread, top with half of the kimchi and sauerkraut, half of the russian dressing, the corned beef, the remaining russian dressing, kimchi and sauerkraut, cheese and finally the other slice of bread.
- Add thesandwich to the pan and grill until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Gochujang Russian Dressing
Mayonnaise and gochujang combine to form a wonderful combination of creamy and spicy and it works amazingly well in a Russian dressing.
Servings: make 1 cup
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon horse radish
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- 1 teaspoon gochujang
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix everything.
Tips on how to make the perfect grilled cheese sandwich every time.
The Kimchi Rachel Sandwich (aka Roast Turkey Reuben Sandwich with Kimchi)
Kimchi Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Gochujang Ketchup for Dipping
Corned Beef, Cabbage and Kimchi Burrito
Rachel Sandwich (aka Roast Turkey Reuben Sandwich)
The 10 Best Grilled Cheese Sandwiches