I recently became aware of a Korean restaurant here in Toronto called Swish by Han that has an item on the menu that immediately caught my attention, a pear kimchi salad with blue cheese. I am a big fan of kimchi , but I had never even thought about making a kimchi with something like pears but I could just image how good a sweet and spicy pear kimchi would be. I went with a slightly modified version of my normal kimchi recipe which has an amazing combination of savoury flavours. Where the cabbage kimchi recipe calls for letting the kimchi sit out a room temperature for a few days to kick start the fermentation process I only let this pear kimchi sit for a half a day let the flavours come out and then I chilled it before serving it. The pear kimchi was a great success! Sweet pears go really well in in a spicy kimchi sauce and I could hardly resist eating it all with a spoon even before trying it in the salad as planned!
Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 10 minutes Servings: 4
A quick Korean pear kimchi that is and amazing combination of sweet and spicy.
- 3 tablespoons gochugaru (Korean chili pepper flakes)
- 1/2 Asian pear, grated
- 2 tablespoons daikon radish, grated
- 2 tablespoons carrot, grated
- 2 green onions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce, or soy sauce for a vegetarian version
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 large pears, peeled, cored and cut into bite sized pieces
- Mix everything but the pears.
- Mix the pears into the mixture.
- Cover and let at room temperature for half a day.
- Store in fridge and enjoy chilled.