After a week of decadent experiments with my cinnamon swirl bread for breakfasts, I was looking for something a little on the lighter side for this week. When I am thinking about healthier breakfasts I often go for eggs and as luck would have it I had been meaning to try something new with a frittata. A frittata is an egg dish that is similar to an omelette that is cooked in a pan on the stove top until the eggs have set on the bottom and then it is transfered to the oven to finish cooking and get a nice golden brown top. Like an omelette, the frittata is generally filled with something be it cheeses, meats or vegetables. Although I normally focus on the flavours of the filling I had recently come across the idea of topping the frittata with something, namely a marinara sauce and melted mozzarella cheese in this recipe for a red pepper and Italian sausage fritata from Our Life in Food that immediately caught my attention.
This frittata is pretty simple with most of the flavour coming from the spicy Italian sausage and the sweet roasted red peppers along with a bit of parmigiano reggiano cheese. I went with a home made marinara sauce to which I added a touch of ground fennel seeds to complement the flavours of the sausage and everything was topped off with some mozzarella cheese. My expectations for this frittata were pretty high, I mean if you take an already amazing frittata and cover it in a tasty marinara sauce and then smother it in ooey gooey melted cheese, you just have to have a winner! Even with those high expectations, I have to say that this is definitely the best frittata that I have ever had! The marinara and mozzarella topping works really well on a frittata adding a ton of flavour and keeping things nice and moist. I am certainly looking forward to breakfasts this week!
Roasted Red Pepper and Italian Sausage Frittata topped with Marinara and Mozzarella
An egg based dish stuffed with spicy Italian sausage and sweet roasted red peppers that is topped with a tasty marinara sauce and melted cheese.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano, grated
- 1 large roasted red pepper, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella, grated
- 1 handful parsley, chopped, optional
- Heat the oil in an oven proof pan over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and cook until it has just browned all over, breaking it apart as you go.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Mix the eggs, parmigiano reggiano, roasted red pepper, sausage, onions, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook until the eggs are almost set, about 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the pan into a preheated 400F oven and let the eggs finish cooking, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the marinara sauce over the frittata, sprinkle on the cheese and broil until the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with chopped parsley.
Butternut Squash, Mushroom, Kale and Sausage Frittata
Italian Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper Omelette Topped with Marinara Sauce
Artichoke and Spinach Frittata
Frittata with Italian Sausage and Cannelli Beans
Italian Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper Lentil Stew
Lentil Stew with Italian Sausage and Kale
Goat Cheese, Roasted Red Pepper and Kalamata Olive Mac n Cheese
Eggplant Tortino in a Kalamata Olive Marinara Sauce