I have been trying to get more fish into my meal plans and with spring here it ties in nicely with trying to eat lighter and healthier meals. First up was the jerk fish on coconut rice topped with banana and pineapple salsa and next was this dish where a white fish is baked in a tasty tomato and feta sauce. I have been thinking about this dish for a while and though I originally wanted to wait until late summers juicy field ripened tomatoes, I have been wanting to have the oven on less and less as the days get warmer so I figured it was time and besides, I had just been itching to make it.
The flavours in this dish are definitely inspired by some of my favourite Greek flavours including the tomatoes, feta, oregano and a healthy does of fresh herbs, especially the dill. I even spiked the tomato sauce with a hit of ouzo, a Greek star anise flavoured liqueur, which adds a hint of something exotic to the dish. The tomato sauce is started in a pan and cooked until it starts to thicken and then it is poured over the fish before baking. This helps to ensure that the fish comes out nice and moist and tender every time. I served the fish with steamed asparagus and some crusty bread to soak up any leftover sauce.
Cod Baked in a Tomato and Feta Sauce
Cod baked in a tasty tomato and feta sauce full of fresh herbs and a splash of ouzo to keep things interesting.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- chili pepper flakes to taste
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 4 cups of fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 splash ouzo or other star anise liqueur (optional)
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 (6 ounce) cod fillets
- crusty bread
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chili pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the white wine and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano and ouzo and simmer until the sauce just starts to thicken, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, mix in the herbs, feta and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the cod fillets in a baking dish and pour the tomato sauce over them.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the fish is cooked, about 10-12 minutes. The cod will be cooked when it flakes easily and it is no longer translucent.