After enjoying the black and blue steak sandwich so much I just had to try it in salad form as the idea of a black and blue steak salad was what inspired the sandwich in the first place. A sweet and tart balsamic vinegar is the perfect foil for the creamy and tangy blue cheese so I knew that the base of my salad was going to be salad greens in a balsamic vinaigrette but I could not stop there as things seemed a little bit too boring. While I was thinking about it, my mind wandered to wondering what I was going to do with the asparagus that I had picked up at the market and I had my answer; add it to the salad. Since I was going to be grilling the steak I figured, why dirty any other dishes when grilled asparagus is so good? I often like to pair red peppers with asparagus and some grilled red peppers were bound to work wonders in the salad. The black and blue steak salad turned out amazingly well! The moist, tender an juicy steak was a delight and the blue cheese, balsamic vinaigrette, asparagus and red peppers played really well together almost like dancing in your mouth. Salads with a bit of grilled meat like this steak salad are ideal light meals for summer and it is always nice when you can include some seasonal local ingredients like the asparagus.
Black and Blue Steak Salad with Asparagus and Red Peppers
Tender gilled steak in a salad with grilled asparagus, red peppers and onions in a balsamic vinaigrette topped with a tangy blue cheese.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 1 pound steak such as rib eye, flank, etc., room temperature
- salt and pepper or your favourite steak spice blend to taste
- 1 (6 ounce) bag mixed greens
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- Brush the grill with the olive oil and heat it up to medium.
- Add the red pepper, onion and asparagus and grill until tender, about 5-8 minutes and set aside.
- Rub the salt and pepper (or steak spice blend) into the steak on both sides.
- Grill the steak for no more than 2 minutes per side over medium-high heat.
- Let the steak rest for 5 minutes and then slice it thinly.
- Assemble salad and toss in the balsamic vinaigrette.
- Serve salad topped with the steak and blue cheese.
Thai Beef Noodle Salad
Black and Blue Steak Sandwich
Chimichurri Steak Sandwiches with Roasted Corn and Red Pepper Salsa
Roasted Asparagus and Red Pepper Farro Salad
Carne Asada Salad