I first came across the asparagus and halloumi cheese combo a few years ago in this grilled asparagus, zucchini and halloumi salad and I have been hooked ever since! Halloumi is a Greek or Turkish cheese that has a high melting point which means that it can easily be fried or grilled. One of my favourite ways to enjoy halloumi in is in a dish called saganaki where the fried cheese is served with a splash of lemon that goes perfectly with the salty cheese. I find that juicy asparagus pairs well with halloumi and it is a combination that I use frequently.
I recently came across a new recipe for grilled asparagus and halloumi on Jungle Frog and I was immediately taken by it. I really liked the simplicity which allows you to focus on the asparagus and the halloumi and a bright lemon dressing goes perfectly with it. This dish could easily be served as an appetizer, a salad or even as a light meal and it is super easy to make. Since I had some lemons out anyways, I sliced and grilled one up to serve with the asparagus and halloumi.
Grilled Asparagus and Halloumi Salad
Grilled asparagus and halloumi cheese served with a lemony vinaigrette.
Servings: makes 2 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 pound asparagus, cleaned and trimmed
- 4 ounces halloumi, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons lemon, honey and mustard vinaigrette
- 2 teaspoons chives, sliced
- Brush the grill (or grill pan) with oil and heat to medium-high heat.
- Grill the asparagus until just tender, about 2-5 minutes depending on the thickness, and set aside.
- Grill the halloumi cheese and lemon wedges until golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- Serve the grilled asparagus and halloumi topped with the dressing and chives with lemon wedges on the side.
Asparagus, Halloumi and Chickpea Farro Salad
Grilled Asparagus, Zucchini and Halloumi Salad
Roasted Strawberry Saganaki Salad
Warm Mushroom and Wild Rice Salad with Roasted Asparagus and Feta