I first came across the asparagus and halloumi cheese combo a few years ago in this grilled asparagus, zucchini and halloumi salad and I have been hooked ever since! Halloumi is a Greek or Turkish cheese that has a high melting point which means that it can easily be fried or grilled. One of my favourite ways to enjoy halloumi in is in a dish called saganaki where the fried cheese is served with a splash of lemon that goes perfectly with the salty cheese. I find that juicy asparagus pairs well with halloumi and it is a combination that I use frequently.
I recently came across a new recipe for grilled asparagus and halloumi on Jungle Frog and I was immediately taken by it. I really liked the simplicity which allows you to focus on the asparagus and the halloumi and a bright lemon dressing goes perfectly with it. This dish could easily be served as an appetizer, a salad or even as a light meal and it is super easy to make. Since I had some lemons out anyways, I sliced and grilled one up to serve with the asparagus and halloumi.
Grilled Asparagus and Halloumi Salad
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 20 minutes Servings: 2
Grilled asparagus and halloumi cheese served with a lemony vinaigrette.
- 1/2 pound asparagus, cleaned and trimmed
- 4 ounces halloumi, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons lemon, honey and mustard vinaigrette
- 2 teaspoons chives, sliced
- Brush the grill (or grill pan) with oil and heat to medium-high heat.
- Grill the asparagus until just tender, about 2-5 minutes depending on the thickness, and set aside.
- Grill the halloumi cheese and lemon wedges until golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- Serve the grilled asparagus and halloumi topped with the dressing and chives with lemon wedges on the side.