The other day I was perusing the menu of Liberty Belle Bistro , a restaurant near where I work and I noticed their Crepe Quebecois which immediately caught my attention. The crepes were described as containing ham, egg and gruyere and the crepe was finished off with maple syrup. I really liked the sound of the sweet and savoury combination of the crepes with the maple syrup and I just had to try making some at home!
Every time that I have made crepes in the past I fully cooked the crepes and then filled them later but these crepes contained an egg filling and cheese which ideally should be melted so I had to change my technique a little. For these crepes I cooked the batter until it started to set and then I added the egg, swirled it around so that it evenly coated the crepe, then I added the grated gruyere cheese and let it melt as the eggs set. Once the egg looked like it was almost set I added the ham and let it warm up a bit before removing the crepe from the pan to fold it up and plate it. The new crepe cooking technique worked out perfectly and I was able to get a cooked egg filling and melted cheese in the crepe without burning the crepe itself.
It has been a long time since I last made bacon and added maple syrup to the pan while it was frying but it is an absolutely amazing combination of sweet and savoury and as I took the first bite of these ham, egg and gruyere crepes topped with maple syrup I was immediately reminded of it. The salty ham, with the melted cheese for was delightful all wrapped up in a light and fluffy crepe and topped with maple syrup and I practically inhaled mine! I could not resist spreading a touch of dijon mustard onto the ham and the small bite that it added was particularly nice! Theses crepes certainly made for a fantastic weekend breakfast!
Ham, Egg and Gruyere Crepes with Maple Syrup
Thin light and fluffy crepes filled with egg, melted gruyere and ham folded and served with a touch of maple syrup; simply a magical combination of sweet and savoury
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- butter for the pan
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten separately
- 1/2 cup gruyere, grated, room temperature
- 6 sliced black forest ham, brushed with 1 teaspoons of dijon mustard, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Mix the flour, egg, milk, salt and butter.
- Heat the pan over medium heat.
- Coat the surface of the pan with a thin layer of butter.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the mixture crepe mixture into the pan and tilt so that the mixture evenly coats the bottom of the pan.
- When the top of the crepe looks like it is almost set pour one of the eggs on and tilt the pan so that the egg evenly coats the crepe.
- Sprinkle the cheese on and when the eggs look like they are almost set, add the ham and set aside.
- Repeat 3-6 for the second crepe.
- Fold the crepes and serve drizzled with maple syrup.
Mushroom and Spinach Crepes with Goat Cheese and Balsamic Drizzle
Asparagus Crepes with Mushroom Dill Sauce
Strawberry and Nutella Crepes
Ham and Cheese Egg Casserole
Breakfast Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Maple Syrup
Ham and Egg Breakfast Quesadillas
Ham and Cheese Rolls with Caramelized Pineapple and Onions