Not too long ago I did a grilled asparagus and halloumi salad and I particularly enjoyed the combo and I wanted to use it again. I often like to do salads that have a base of a whole grain, a bean and a seasonal ingredient and this time I was thinking that a whole grain salad with the grilled asparagus and halloumi would be the perfect fit. It had been a while since I last used farro so I decided to go with that for the whole grain and chickpeas seemed like the natural fit. I always like to include a fresh herb and I was thinking that a combination of dill and mint would hit the spot. Next up was the dressing and I was thinking that a honey dijon vinaigrette would help keep things nice and bright and summery.
Asparagus, Halloumi and Chickpea Farro Salad
A summery whole grain salad with asparagus, grilled halloumi, chickpeas, a bunch of fresh herbs and a lemony vinaigrette.
Servings: makes 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup farro
- 4 ounces halloumi, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 pound asparagus, blanched and cut into small pieces
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 handful dill, chopped
- 1 handful mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup honey dijon vinaigrette
- Cook the farro as directed on the package.
- Brush the grill (or grill pan) with oil and heat to medium-high heat.
- Grill the halloumi cheese until golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side, let cool and dice.
- Mix everything and enjoy.
Grilled Asparagus and Halloumi Salad
Warm Mushroom, Roasted Asparagus and Wild Rice Salad with Feta
Grilled Asparagus, Zucchini and Halloumi Salad
Morel Mushroom and Asparagus Eggs Benedic