When I was at the farmers market on the weekend I came across some local summer peas and since I always enjoy fresh peas I picked some up right away. After too much good food over the long weekend I was looking for something a bit on the lighter side and since it was a weeknight I also wanted something quick and easy. Pastas are often my go to meals under these circumstances and it had been a while since I last did a carbonara pasta so I was thinking that a carbonara with peas would be just about right. A carbonara is a pasta that is dressed in a creamy egg based sauce along with bacon, romano cheese and a healthy dose of fresh ground black pepper. I often like to add seasonal ingredients to carbonara pastas like asparagus or zucchini and I figured that sweet peas would work wonderfully in the creamy and salty sauce. One of my favourite things about a carbonara pasta, other than tasting great, is that it literally comes together in less time than it takes to cook the noodles. This dish was definitely a great way to enjoy those summer peas!
Spaghetti alla Carbonara with Peas
Spaghetti served in a creamy egg based sauce with bacon, fresh summer peas and Pecorino Romano cheese.
Servings: makes 2 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 pound pasta
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup pecorino romano or parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh or thawed frozen)
- pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon mint, julienned
- Cook the pasta as directed on the package.
- Meanwhile cook the bacon in a pan until crispy and set it aside on paper towels to drain.
- Mix the egg yolks, heavy cream and pecorino romano in a large bowl.
- Drain the cooked pasta reserving some of the water.
- Mix the pasta, peas and bacon into the egg mixture adding pasta water as needed and season with pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with grated pecorino romano and julienned mint.
Pasta alla Carbonara
Creamy Pea and Artichoke Pesto Pasta Salad
Roasted Brussels Sprout Carbonara
Roasted Cauliflower and Mushroom Carbonara
Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Carbonara