When I was at the farmers market on the weekend I came across some local summer peas and since I always enjoy fresh peas I picked some up right away. After too much good food over the long weekend I was looking for something a bit on the lighter side and since it was a weeknight I also wanted something quick and easy. Pastas are often my go to meals under these circumstances and it had been a while since I last did a carbonara pasta so I was thinking that a carbonara with peas would be just about right. A carbonara is a pasta that is dressed in a creamy egg based sauce along with bacon, romano cheese and a healthy dose of fresh ground black pepper. I often like to add seasonal ingredients to carbonara pastas like asparagus or zucchini and I figured that sweet peas would work wonderfully in the creamy and salty sauce. One of my favourite things about a carbonara pasta, other than tasting great, is that it literally comes together in less time than it takes to cook the noodles. This dish was definitely a great way to enjoy those summer peas!
Spaghetti alla Carbonara with Peas
Spaghetti served in a creamy egg based sauce with bacon, fresh summer peas and Pecorino Romano cheese.
Servings: makes 2 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 pound pasta
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup pecorino romano or parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh or thawed frozen)
- pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon mint, julienned
- Cook the pasta as directed on the package.
- Meanwhile cook the bacon in a pan until crispy and set it aside on paper towels to drain.
- Mix the egg yolks, heavy cream and pecorino romano in a large bowl.
- Drain the cooked pasta reserving some of the water.
- Mix the pasta, peas and bacon into the egg mixture adding pasta water as needed and season with pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with grated pecorino romano and julienned mint.
Pasta alla Carbonara
Creamy Pea and Artichoke Pesto Pasta Salad
Roasted Brussels Sprout Carbonara