One of my favourite treats in the summer is a cool and creamy no bake cheesecake which is particularly nice because you do not have to turn the oven on to enjoy it. This no bake cheesecake is made by mixing cream cheese and whipped cream and placing it on a buttery nutty crust that is simply pressed into the bottom of the pan. The cheesecake is then chilled in the fridge until it 'sets' when you can pull it out and top it with some fresh summer fruit and or berries.
Not too long ago I came across a variation of the no bake cheesecake, the blueberry and mascarpone cheesecake with amaretti crust on Gourmantine that used Italian mascarpone instead of cream cheese. This cheesecake also used an amaretti crust and I know just how good the blueberry and almond flavour combo is! In fact I have used it many times like in this blueberry amaretti crisp. The coup de gras of this cheesecake is the layer of blueberry caramel sauce between the crust and the cheesecake and there was absolutely no question that I would have to make it!
The mascarpone cheesecake is almost as easy to make as my regular no bake cheesecake though you do have to briefly bake the crust for this one. With minimal effort I had two individual sized cheesecakes chilling out in my fridge while I impatiently waited for them to set. When I pulled them out of the fridge I noticed that they did not set quite as solidly as the cream cheese ones do but that was ok, they were just a bit messier, but certainly worth it! (I have already modified the recipe to go lighter on the whipped cream so that the next batch is a firmer.) I topped the entire surface of these cheesecakes with fresh blueberries and dug into them! I have to say that they were absolutely amazing! The almond flavours in the crust from the amaretti cookies really paired well with both the ooey gooey blueberry caramel sauce and the fresh blueberries. The cool and creamy 'cheesecake' filling was the perfect foil for all of the flavours and the juicy fresh blueberries help keeping things from getting too creamy. I will definitely be making these again!
Blueberry Mascarpone Cheesecake with Amaretti Crust
A cool and creamy cheesecake treat that is perfect on hot summer days. The blueberries and almond flavoured crust perfectly compliment each other and a hint of lemon brightens everything up.
Servings: makes 2 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup amaretti cookie crumbs
- 1/4 cup graham cracker or digestive cookie crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream, cold
- 1 (8 ounce) package of mascarpone, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, zest
- 1/4 cup blueberry caramel sauce
- 1 cup blueberries
- Mix the amaretti cookie crumbs, graham cracker crumbs and butter and press them into the bottom of two 4 inch spring form pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until golden brown on the edges, about 8-12 minutes and let cool completely.
- Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks.
- Beat the sugar and lemon zest into the mascarpone and then gently fold in the whipped cream.
- Divide the blueberry caramel sauce between the 2 spring form pans and top with the cream mixture.
- Chill in the fridge for several hours to over night, top with blueberries and enjoy.
No Bake Cheesecake
Blueberry Amaretti Crisp
Blueberry Cheesecake Pancakes