For the last little while I have had some pretty big cravings for Mexican flavours and over the weekend I certainly did indulge them. Although the salmon tacos with blueberry salsa were really good, they did not completely satisfy my cravings and I was looking for more. With dinners and lunches already planned for the week that left breakfasts and I knew just the dish to make! I came across this recipe for Mexican baked eggs on Kalyn's Kitchen a while ago and as soon as I saw it I knew that I would have to make it as it uses so many of my favourite Mexican ingredients and flavours!
In addition to being nice and simple and easy, this recipe is also really tasty! You start by making a sauce with a base of onions, garlic, cumin and chipotle chili powder which is filled out with the tomatoes and black beans and finally finished off with some fresh cilantro. This sauce is then poured into a baking dish and topped with eggs and cheese and then it is baked in the oven until the eggs are cooked and the cheese is all melted and good! As you can see by the ingredients, this dish is also hearty and yet pretty healthy. This recipe will make enough for about 4 servings but you do not have to bake them all at once. The tomato and bean sauce will keep well in the fridge and you can make one or two servings at a time if you prefer and spread it out over a few days.
Mexican Baked Eggs
Eggs baked in spicy black bean and tomato sauce topped with melted cheese.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes or 4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese such as jack and cheddar
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, chipotle chili powder, and jalapeno saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, black beans, oregano, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Place half of the mixture into one or more baking dishes, top with the eggs and spoon the remaining mixture around the eggs.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the eggs just start to set, about 5-8 minutes.
- Top with the cheese and broil until it melts, no more than a minute or so.
Brussels Sprout Hash with Sweet Potato and Bacon
Tomato and Feta Baked Eggs
Asparagus Huevos Rancheros
Italian Style Baked Eggs
Chorizo Scrambled Eggs Breakfast Tacos