I always like to include at least one green vegetable in my holiday dinners and very often it ends up being a dish with green beans. Green beans and mushrooms are a combo that I particularly enjoy and I am constantly coming up with new dishes that use them together. More often than not I tend to just saute them together along with some onions, garlic and herbs but for a holiday dinner I was thinking that I would do something a little more special. The basic idea behind this recipe was to start out with nice and innocently healthy steamed green beans and to smother them in a decadently creamy mushroom sauce. The mushroom sauce contains both dried porcini mushrooms, which are just packed with flavour, and fresh cremini mushrooms and if you wanted to be a little more extravagant you could use a combination of wild mushrooms.
One thing is for sure and that is that there were no green beans or any of the mushroom sauce left over after the big Thanksgiving dinner! I will definitely be keeping this recipe handy and I can see using it on a number different things!
Green Beans in a Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Steamed green beans covered in a creamy mushroom sauce made with both fresh cremini mushrooms and dried porcini mushrooms for maximum mushroom flavour.
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- 1 pound green beans
- Soak the dried porcini mushrooms in the water for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minutes.
- Add the cremini mushrooms and saute until the start to caramelized and turn golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the porcini mushrooms and the water they were soaking in to the pan and simmer at medium-high until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cream and parmigiano reggiano, season with salt and pepper and simmer until it thickens, about 2-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile steam the green beans.
- Remove the mushrooms from the heat and mix in the parsley.
- Serve the green beans covered in the mushroom sauce.
Deconstructed Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean and Mushroom Poutine
Grilled Portobello Mushroom in a Porcini Cream Sauce
Morel Mushroom and Asparagus Eggs Benedict
Roasted Mushroom and Green Bean Farro Salad
Green Bean, Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Tart
Roasted Potatoes in Creamy Mushroom and Miso Sauce
Roast Head of Cauliflower in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Creamy Garlic and Brie Mushrooms