I have been going sandwich crazy these last few weeks and my focus has been squarely pointed at both the perfectly ripe field tomatoes and the unripe green tomatoes that are available right now. While I was searching for ideas for yet another sandwich I stumbled across this grilled brie and goat cheese sandwich with bacon and green tomato recipe by Bobby Flay and as soon as I saw it, I knew that I would have to make it. I really liked the sound of combining two amazing cheeses, an ooey gooey brie and a tangy goat cheese in a grilled cheese sandwich along with some salty and crisp bacon and tart slices of green tomatoes! This grilled cheese sandwich is definitely worth making and I have already made it a few times! After the first time I tweaked the recipe a by slicing the green tomato a thinner and frying them in the bacon grease to soften them up a bit as the hard slices kept popping out of the sandwich. What a great way to enjoy some green tomatoes all covered in melted cheese and wrapped in toasty, buttery bread!
Grilled Brie and Goat Cheese Sandwich with Bacon and Green Tomato
A tasty grilled cheese sandwich with crispy bacon and tangy green tomato and covered in ooey gooey melted brie and goat cheese.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 large green tomato, sliced into 1/8 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices bread (I used sour dough)
- 2 ounces brie, room temperature
- 2 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon until crisp over medium heat, set aside on paper towels to drain and pour all but 1 tablespoon of the grease from the pan.
- Add the green tomato slices, saute for a minute on each side, set aside and wipe the pan clean. (Optional, skip if you prefer crisp tomato slices.)
- Butter one side of each slice of bread and place 2 in the pan buttered side down.
- Top each with 1/4 of each cheese followed by the bacon, tomato, pepper and finally the remaining slice of bread with the buttered side up.
- Grill until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side.