With the weather cooling down, soup season is here and I have certainly been taking advantage of it! During the warmer summer days, making a hot soup is one of the last things that I want to do but that does not mean that I stopped dreaming up new ideas for soups to try and I now have quite the list. On the top of that list of soup ideas was a buffalo chicken chowder! The basic idea was to make a soup with all of the flavours of buffalo chicken wings, which I just cannot seem to get enough of. I started the recipe out with some chicken and then I built up the base with onions, celery, carrots and garlic where I used more celery and carrots that I usually do in a soup like this as they are often served with buffalo chicken wings. Of course we cannot forget the star of the show and that is the hot sauce that the buffalo chicken wings are covered in so I added a healthy hit of that hot sauce directly to the soup. Although I could have gone with a nice light soup I was craving something a little on the heartier side so I decided to make it in the style of a chowder where I used some flour along with some cream to thicken it and some potatoes to bulk it up. Buffalo chicken wings are often served with a creamy blue cheese dipping sauce so I finished the soup off by melting some blue cheese into it and serving it with some more crumbled on top.
The buffalo chicken chowder turned out really well! A spoonful of this soup really does have all of the flavours of buffalo chicken wings and it's on the healthier side so there are less worries about having a bowl of this soup than polishing off a plate full of chicken wings. I served the soup with some carrot and celery sticks along with some crostini topped with even more melted blue cheese. I can't wait for lunch tomorrow when the leftovers are going to make my day at work!
Tip: If you are not such a fan of heat, add the hot sauce a bit at a time until you get it to where you like it!
Tip: If you are not a big fan of blue cheese, go with a mild blue cheese and use less of it, but d use some as it adds an amazing flavour to the soup.
Buffalo Chicken Chowder
A hearty and creamy chowder with all of the flavours of buffalo chicken wings!
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour (rice flour for gluten free)
- 3 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- hot sauce to taste (I used 1/4 cup Franks Red Hot sauce)
- 1 large yukon gold or other boiling potato, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the chicken and saute until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Mix in the flour and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and deglaze the pan.
- Add the hot sauce and potatoes, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, mix in the cream and blue cheese and remove from heat when the cheese has melted.
Buffalo Chicken Recipes:
Buffalo Chicken Chili
Buffalo Chicken Salad
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Chicken Noodle Soup
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Buffalo Chicken Club Sandwich
Buffalo Chicken Sushi
Bacon Double Cheeseburger Soup