French onion soup has to be one of my favourite soups but I do not make it nearly often enough. I recently came across the idea of an apple french onion soup that sounded really good and gave me the perfect excuse to make french onion soup again! The star of a good french onion soup is of course the onions which are slowly caramelized until they are golden brown and amazingly sweet. I normally build up the broth of the french onion soup using beef broth and red wine and for this version I added some apple cider and grated apples. Perhaps the best part of the french onion soup is that it is topped with toast and cheese and thrown under the broiler until the cheese is all bubbling and golden brown. The combination of the sweet caramelized onions and the savoury melted cheese is absolutely divine and the apple flavours of this version adds a perfect hint of fall to the soup.
Apple French Onion Soup
A fall take on French onion soup with apples and apple cider.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 45 minutes
Total Time: 3 hour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 pounds onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 apple, peeled and julienned
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 splash brandy (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 1/2 inch thick slices of day old bread, toasted
- 1 1/2 cup gruyere or fontina, grated
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and water and cook, covered, until completely tender and caramelized and golden, about 2 hours, adding more water as needed.
- Add the apple and thyme and cook for a minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, for another minute.
- Add the wine and deglaze the pan.
- Add the broth, cider and bay leaves, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper and add a splash of brandy.
- Divide the soup between 4 oven safe bowls, top with the toast followed by the cheese and broil until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
French Onion Soup
Guinness ‘French’ Onion Soup
Hot Caramelized Onion Dip
Chipotle Caramelized Onions