As many of you know, I am a little bit obsessed with grilled cheese sandwiches! While I was in Montreal, a friend at Van Houtte coffee suggested something new, a grilled cheese sandwich served with maple syrup and as soon as I heard the idea, I knew that I would have to try it! The sweet and savoury combination often works out well and when you combine two of my favourite things, grilled cheese sandwiches and maple syrup, you are bound to get a winner. Like I needed an excuse to try a grilled cheese sandwich in a new way!
The grilled cheese sandwich served covered in maple syrup turned out just as well as I thought it would! The sweet and savoury combination was magnificent and I will definitely be doing it again! Now grilled cheese sandwiches are not just for lunch any more and this is the perfect excuse to have them for breakfast!
Breakfast Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Maple Syrup
A perfectly golden brown toasty, buttery grilled cheese sandwich filled with ooey gooey melted cheese served for breakfast, smothered in maple syrup.
Servings: make 1 sandwich
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 slices bread, day old
- 2 ounces cheese, grated/shredded, room temperature
- maple syrup to taste
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Completely butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of bread in the pan, buttered side down, sprinkle on the cheese and top with the remaining slice of bread, buttered side up
- Turn the heat down a notch and cook until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes.
- Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 2-4 minutes.
- Serve with maple syrup.
Secrets of How to Make The Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich Revealed
Ham, Egg and Gruyere Crepes with Maple Syrup
Ham and Cheese Egg Casserole
Top 10 Grilled Cheese Sandwiches