After making two savoury shortbreads on my weekend of shortbread baking madness it was time for some sweet ones starting with the classic plain shortbread which is always a favourite. Next however it was time for something more interesting and I was thinking that a chocolate shortbread would be nice. I figured that there were two main ways that chocolate shortbread could be done, either by making them all chocolate of by making them more chocolate chip cookie like and I was immediately taken with the idea of a light coloured shortbread filled with chunks of solid dark chocolate. Of course I opted to use a solid block of dark chocolate rather than chips and I just shaved off small pieces for use in the shortbread. The dark chocolate shortbread would be amazing just like that but I have been into the idea of combining sweet and savoury and the addition of a touch of salt to an otherwise sweet dish can be really amazing so I added some fleur de sel to the shortbread.
Dark Chocolate Shortbread with Fleur de Sel
Buttery shortbread filled with chunks of dark chocolate and a touch of fleur de sel.
Servings: makes 18-36 cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon fleur de sel or coarse grained salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, cut into small pieces
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Mix in the flour, cornstarch and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients followed by the chocolate.
- Shape the cookies as you like an place them on a parchment lined baking sheet with an inch of space between them.
- Place the baking sheet in the fridge and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until they just start to turn a light golden brown, about 8-14 minutes, remove and let cool. (Note: The shortbread will still be rather soft when it is done but it with crisp up as it cools.)
Stilton and Rosemary Shortbread
Gorgonzola and Pistachio Shortbread
Almond Crescent Cookies
Chocolate and Maraschino Cherry Shortbread Cookies
Bacon Maple Shortbread