I always enjoy having cornbread with chili and I wanted to try something a little different with the cornbread that I made to go with my beef and black bean chili. Cornbread is another one of those foods where the basic recipe is really just the starting point as there are so many different ingredients that you can add to it. I certainly do like to experiment and in the past I have tried adding different kinds of cheeses, bacon, kernels of corn and even cranberries. One of the nice things about about cornbread is that it can be just a touch on the sweet side and I was thinking that some spicy hot jalapenos would go particularly well with that sweetness in addition to adding some pretty flecky of green. Of course one trick to making a really tasty cornbread is to use bacon grease for the fat, though butter or oil also work and buttermilk adds a hint of tanginess and helps keep things nice and moist. This cornbread would make the perfect side for any bowl of chili but for me, things were just getting started because I had even bigger plans for the leftovers!
Butter milk cornbread with the spicy hit of jalapenos!
Servings: makes 4-12 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup buttermilk (or milk)
- 1/4 cup oil, butter or bacon grease
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
- Mix the buttermilk, oil and eggs.
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients in to the wet and then mix in the jalapeno peppers.
- Pour the Mixture into a grease 9x5 inch loaf pan and bake in a preheated 375F oven until a toothpick pushed in the center comes out clean, about 30-40 minutes.
Jalapeno Cornbread Grilled Cheese with Chipotle Caramelized Onions, Refried Black Beans and Guacamole
Corn Bread Stuffing with Chorizo
Cottage Cheese Cornbread
Cranberry Corn Bread
Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes