Mushrooms are one of my absolute favourite foods and it was long past time that I gave them the grilled cheese treatment! My mild obsession with grilled cheese sandwiches has had me dreaming about a mushroom grilled cheese for a long time and it was finally time to realize it. I wanted to keep things relatively simple without compromising in flavour so I stared out by sauteing some onions and mushrooms slowly until they turned golden brown and caramelized bringing out all of their tastiness. Next I deglazed the pan with a splash of white wine to make sure that none of the flavour that had built up in those brown bits that stick to the bottom of the pan went to waste. If you are a fan of truffles then this is where you can indulge a bit and add some truffle oil to the mushrooms to make this sandwich even more decadent! I mixed the cheese right into the still warm mushrooms to give it a head start on melting, thus ensuring that all of the cheese in the sandwich would be melted by the time that the sandwich was grilled to perfection!
The net result was one of the messiest grilled cheese sandwiches that I have ever made but it was also so unbelievably good! I went with a combination of fontina and gruyere for the cheese as they both melt well and boy did they ever melt well! The cheese was literally pouring out of the mushroom melt, carrying with it a stream of mushrooms! Perhaps the best part was that some of that melted cheeses squeezed out while cooking and caramelized around the edges of the bread as it cooked! I see myself enjoying a lot of these mushroom grilled cheese sandwiches in the future!
Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich (aka The Mushroom Melt)
Sauteed mushrooms and onions all covered in ooey gooey melted cheese in a grilled cheese sandwich. Buttery, toasty, and cheesy mushroom perfection!
Servings: makes 2 sandwiches
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine or broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon truffle oil (optional)
- 1 cup fontina or gruyere, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano, grated
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Melt the butter and heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the cremini mushrooms and saute until the start to caramelized and turn golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the wine, deglaze the pan and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, add the parsley and remove from heat and let cool a bit.
- Mix the cheese into the mushrooms.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread and place 2 in the pan buttered side down.
- Top each with 1/2 of the mushroom mixture and finally the remaining slices of bread with the buttered side up.
- Grill until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Tips on How to Make The Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Burgers Smothered in a Caramelized Onion, Mushroom and Blue Cheese Sauce
Hot Cheesy Mushroom Dip
Creamy Mushroom and Roasted Cauliflower Soup
More great grilled cheese sandwiches.