One of my favourite things about cooking a large ham dinner is all of the leftovers. I think that I look forward to the leftover even more than the initial dinner and I always have fun trying new dishes using the ham. I recently came across the this recipe for a ham and leek tart on Picante Cooking and I immediately knew what I would be doing with some of the leftover ham in my freezer.
This ham and leek tart is pretty simple and dead easy to make! It starts out with an all butter pie crust which you can easily make yourself or you could save some time by using a store bought one. Next up the ham and leeks are sauted, and mixed up with an egg, some cream, cheese and a touch of grainy mustard. After just 20 minutes in the oven the cheese is all melted and bubbling and golden brown and good. The ham and leek tart is amazingly tasty and all of the flavours work well together. I have to say that my tart disappeared way too quickly. :) I served the ham and leek tart with a simple arugula salad along with a glass of white wine.
Ham and Leek Tart(makes 4 servings)
1 butter pie crust
1 tablespoon oil
1 cup ham (diced)
1 tablespoon butter
2 leeks (trimmed, cleaned and white and light green parts sliced)
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup heavy/whipping cream (or sour cream)
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
1 1/2 cup swiss cheese (grated)
1. Roll the pie dough out, fit it into the tart pan and trim the edges.
2. Heat the oil in a pan over medium.
3. Add the ham and saute until it starts to turn lightly golden brown, about 7-10 minutes and set aside.
4. Melt the butter in the same pan over medium heat.
5. Add the leeks and saute until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
6. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute and remove from heat.
7. Mix the egg, cream and mustard.
8. Mix the ham, leeks, the egg mixture and 1 cup of the cheese and pour it into the tart shell.
9. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
10. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the cheese has melted an the pie shell is a light golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Wild Leek and Double Smoked Bacon Tart
Pear and Gorgonzola Tart
Ham and Bean Soup
Ham and Cheese Egg Casserole
Ham and Lentil Soup