After enjoying snacking on the strawberry and avocado salsa I knew that I wanted to try using it in something and of course tacos were on my mind. I figured that white fish tacos would be perfect but I did not think that my staple fish tacos, the chipotle lime fish tacos were quite the right fit. My next choice was some cilantro lime fish tacos but I wanted to try something a little different. After contemplating for a while and my mind wandered and I found myself thinking about how good a nice cool and refreshing strawberry mojito would be. With that thought, inspiration struck and mojito fish tacos it was!
I have used alcohol in marinades and sauces before such as in my favourite tequila lime shrimp or the tequila lime grilled chicken so pulling out the rum for the marinade for fish tacos was not a stretch. With the mojito theme in mind the base of the marinade seemed obvious starting with the lime, rum and mint. From there I continued to build up some flavour with garlic, cumin, green onions and cilantro and I finished things off with a touch of heat from some jalapeno peppers.
After marinating the fish, it simply needs to be thrown onto the grill for a few minutes to cook and then it is broken up a bit before assembling the tacos. Since the strawberry and avocado salsa was already packed with flavour I kept the toppings simple and I only really added some crumbled queso fresco, cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. The mojito grilled fish was really tasty and the flavours worked well in taco form with the strawberry salsa. What a perfect way to enjoy strawberry season! Despite the fact that I immensely enjoyed the strawberry salsa, I am absolutely sure that the mojito grilled fish would be perfect in tacos with pretty much any toppings. I definitely will be keeping this recipe close at hand!
Mojito Grilled Fish Tacos with Strawberry Salsa
Grilled fish tacos marinated in a mojito inspired marinade with lime, mint and rum served with a summery strawberry and avocado salsa.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound white fish such as tilapia, cod, etc.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- 1 handful mint, chopped
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 (4 inch) tortillas
- 2 cups strawberry and avocado salsa
- 1/2 cup queso fresco or feta, crumbled
- 1 handful cilantro
- Marinate the fish in the oil, lime juice and zest, rum, jalapeno, garlic, green onion, mint, cumin, salt and pepper for 10-20 minutes.
- Grill the fish over medium-high heat until cooked, about 4-6 minutes per side. The fish will be cooked when it flakes easily and it is no longer translucent.
- Flake the fish and serve in tortillas garnished with strawberry and avocado salsa, crumbled cheese and cilantro or your favourite taco toppings.
Enjoy with a
Chipotle Lime Fish Tacos
Tequila Lime Shrimp
Tequila Lime Grilled Chicken
Duck Tacos with Chipotle Cherry Salsa and Crumbled Goat Cheese
Salmon Bulgogi Tacos with Blueberry Habanero Salsa
Crispy Rolled Shrimp Tacos
Calamari Tacos with Salsa Naranja
Blackened Catfish Tacos
Cilantro and Lime Fish Tacos
Carne Asada Tacos