Another thing that I often think about when I am trying to eat lighter is seafood and one of my goals is to try to include fish in my diet more often. These fish tacos that have been on my mind for a while now and they were the perfect way to kill two birds with one stone so to say. I certainly was not going to let the fact that it is the middle of winter stop me from doing some grilling, not when it is easy enough to pull out my trusty grilling pan. The grilling pan might not give that smoky flavour of a real grill but it is great way to cast back a bit of winter's gloom by using it to make a summery dish!
The basic idea behind these fish tacos was to marinate the fish, timapia in this case, in a light and tasty cilantro and lime marinade and then to grill it, flake it apart into chunks and to serve it in corn tortillas dressed up with some tasty toppings. When I think about toppings for tacos I almost always start by thinking about the salsa as tacos almost always need to have at least one salsa and for these cilantro and lime fish tacos I went for a fresh tomatillo salsa . I filled the tacos out a bit by including some crunch shredded cabbages and some cool and creamy avocado is certainly welcome. I sometimes include a dollop of sour cream in my tacos but this time I thought that I would try something a bit different and I pureed some cilantro and lime juice into the sour cream which definitely increases its summery freshness!
Cilantro and Lime Fish Tacos
Fresh, healthy and tasty cilantro and lime marinated grilled fish tacos.
- 1 pound white fish such as tilapia, cod, etc.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 (4 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 batch tomatillo pico de gallo
- 3 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 batch cilantro lime crema - see below
- 2 large avocados, sliced
- Marinate the fish in the oil, lime juice and zest, jalapeno, garlic, green onion, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper for 10-20 minutes.
- Grill the fish over medium-high heat until cooked, about 4-6 minutes per side. The fish will be cooked when it flakes easily and it is no longer translucent.
- Flake the fish and serve in tortillas garnished with your favourite toppings.
Cilantro and Lime Crema
Crema filled with the freshness and brightness of summer; the perfect garnish for fish tacos.
- 1/2 cup crema or sour cream
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1/2 lime, juice and zest
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
- Puree everything in a food processor.
Chipotle Lime Fish Tacos
Cilantro and Lime Salmon
Mojito Grilled Fish Tacos with Strawberry Salsa
Salmon Bulgogi Tacos with Blueberry Habanero Salsa
Chicken Mole Tacos
Calamari Tacos with Salsa Naranja
Blackened Catfish Tacos
Crispy Rolled Shrimp Tacos
Jerk Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Salsa, Slaw and Pina Colada Crema