When I made the quinoa cakes with roasted red pepper and walnut pesto, goat cheese and a poached egg it reminded me that I had not done much with quinoa lately and that got me thinking about all of the things that I want to try using quinoa in. A quinoa tabbouleh was pretty high on my list of quinoa dishes to try and it would fit in nicely with a few other recipes as well so I started with that. Tabbouleh is normally made with bulgar but I figured that the texture of quinoa would work well in it. In addition to the bulgar a tabbouleh salads normally consist of tomatoes, cucumbers, parsly and mint and it is dressed up in lemon juice and olive oil. I kept things pretty straight forward with this tabbouleh salad other than swapping the bulgar out for the quinoa and it turned out really well! There is nothing like a light salad filled with fresh herbs and a hit of lemon to push back the gloom of winter!
The quinoa in the salad reminded me of grainy mustard of which I am a big fan of so I made a batch of honey lemon dijon vinaigrette where I used two tablespoons of the grainy mustard and only a teaspoon of the dijon mustard and I used it on half of the tabbouleh salad. This grainy mustard vinaigrette added a really nice tang to the tabbouleh salad and I will definitely be doing it again!
Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
A light and fresh tabbouleh salad with quinoa, tomatoes, cucumbers and loads of fresh parsley and mint in a bright lemon dressing.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the water and quinoa to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the liquid has all been absorbed, about 17-20 minutes and let cool.
- Mix the quinoa, tomato, cucumber, parsley, mint and green onion.
- Mix the lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper and toss with salad.