With January here I have been trying to eat healthier and when I am doing that I often think about salads, whole grain salads in particular. The combination of green beans and mushrooms are a favourite of mine whether I am simply sauteing them as a side dish or doing something more with them like making a casserole and I have had the idea to use them in a whole grain salad for a while now. Normally I would start a salad like this by sauteing the mushrooms and green beans but this time I thought that I would try something a little different and roast them both in the oven. Roasting vegetables seems to concentrate their flavours and make them even tastier and I was thinking that that would be the perfect way to go for this salad. With the vegetables decided the next component is the whole grain and there are a lot of choices that would work in this salad but I decided to go with farro. Farro is a really nice whole grain and I enjoy its earthy nuttiness and the chewy texture. For the dressing I went with a flavour packed homemade balsamic vinaigrette and I finished the salad off with a bit of feta though goat cheese or a mild blue cheese would also be wonderful.
Roasted Mushroom and Green Bean Farro Salad
A roasted mushroom and green bean farro salad with balsamic vinaigrette and feta.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup farro
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup feta, goat or blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped and toasted
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
- Bring the water and farro to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the farro is al dente. about 20 minutes.
- Toss the mushrooms and green beans in the oil, thyme, salt and pepper and place them on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Roast the mushrooms and green beans in a preheated 400F oven until they start to caramelize, about 20 minutes, flipping them half way through.
- Mix everything and enjoy.
Roasted Cauliflower and Mushroom Quinoa Salad in Balsamic Vinaigrette
Mushroom and Thyme Farro Salad
Roasted Cauliflower and Red Pepper Farro Salad
Roasted Eggplant, Red Pepper and Green Bean Pomegranate Salad
Green Beans in a Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean, Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Tart
Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpea Quinoa and Arugula Salad with Almonds, Pomegranate and Feta in a Lemony Tahini Dressing