I am a huge fan of caramelized onions and over the last little while I have been experimenting with adding different flavours to them. Some of my more recent experiments include the balsamic caramelized onions and the chipotle caramelized onions. Each of these different kinds of caramelized onions has found a home in one or more sandwiches and they have taken those sandwiches to whole new levels of greatness! For my next caramelized onions I was thinking about a batch that could be used in a breakfast sandwich and maple caramelized onions seemed like the perfect way to go!
These maple caramelized onions are really easy to make but it does take a bit of time to properly caramelize the onions and it is definitely worth it! I added the maple flavour simply by adding some maple syrup at the end when the onions are just about caramelized along with a touch of vinegar for some tang.
Maple Caramelized Onions
Sweet maple-y caramelized onions.
Servings: makes 1/2 cup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and water and cook until completely tender and caramelized and golden, about 40-50 minutes, adding more water as needed.
- Stir in the maple syrup and vinegar and cook until most of the liquid is gone, about 2-3 minutes.
Peameal Bacon Breakfast Sandwich with Maple Caramelized Onions and a Fried Egg
Chipotle Caramelized Onions
Onion Marmalade (or Balsamic Caramelized Onions)
Maple Bourbon Bacon Jam
Slow Roasted Tomato Bacon Jam