Taco stuffed shells have been on my to try list for a long time and when I recently came across some taco stuffed shells on Inspired Taste I could not put off making them any longer. The basic idea of the taco stuffed shells is that large pasta shells are stuffed with the flavours of tacos and then covered in cheese and baked. For the taco inspired filling I started out with ground beef that I flavoured with a homemade taco seasoning blend along with some onions and garlic. I then filled the mixture out, and made it a bit healthier, with some tomatoes, corn and black beans before finishing it off some hot sauce and creamy goat cheese. The shells are then stuffed with the filling and placed in a baking pan with a layer of salsa on the bottom and then cheese is sprinkled on along with some bread crumbs for a crunchy topping.
These taco stuffed shells are great all by themselves but feel free to serve them with your favourite taco filling like lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and avocados.
Taco Stuffed Shells
Jumbo pasta shells stuffed with a taco inspired mixture of beef, corn, black beans and goat cheese that is covered in cheese and baked in salsa.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup black beans
- 4 ounces goat cheese or cream cheese
- hot sauce to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 pound large pasta shells, cooked (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup cheese, shredded
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned, breaking it up, about 10 minutes.
- Add the taco seasoning, tomato puree, corn, black beans and goat cheese and cook until the goat cheese has melted in, about 2-3 minutes.
- Season with hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the salsa into a large baking dish, stuff the shells with the beef mixture and place them in the salsa.
- Mix the butter into the bread crumbs and sprinkle onto the stuffed shells followed by the cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven until the cheese has melted and the bread crumbs turn golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.