I am always on the lookout for new ways to enjoy the totally addictive buffalo chicken flavours and so when I came across the idea for a buffalo chicken chili on Blog is the New Black I pinned it immediately! I could not resist the idea of a using the buffalo chicken flavours in a bowl of chili and it was sounding like pure comfort food in a bowl! This buffalo chicken chili starts out with a base of onions and plenty of carrots and celery which is appropriate given that buffalo wing are often served with carrot and celery sticks. From there the chili is seasoned with garlic, cumin, paprika and of course plenty of your favourite hot sauce. I chose to go with beer for the liquid and then I bulked the chili up with some tomatoes and white beans. I have to say that this chili is good and you will definitely find yourself going back for seconds which is ok as it is fairly healthy! I server the chili topped with crumbled blue cheese with a side of corn chips, carrots and celery sticks along with a blue cheese sauce for dipping.
Tip: Add the hot sauce slowly and taste test as you go to make sure that it has the right level of heat for you.
Buffalo Chicken Chili
A buffalo chicken wing inspire bowl of chili served topped with tangy crumbled blue cheese.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- 1 cup beer or chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (or to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- crumbled blue cheese to taste
- Cook the chicken in a large pan over medium heat and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the pan, add the onions, celery and carrots and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the beer or broth and deglaze the pan.
- Add chicken, tomatoes, beans, paprika, oregano, cayenne and hot sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with crumbled blue cheese to taste.
Slow Cooker: Implement step 1, optionally implement steps 2 & 3, place everything except the blue cheese in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or high for 2-4 hours.
Buffalo Chicken Recipes:
Buffalo Chicken Chowder
Beef and Black Bean Chili
Black Bean and Quinoa Chili
White Chicken Chili
Slow Braised Chili Con Carne
Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins
Buffalo Chicken Sushi
Quinoa White Chicken Chili
Looking for more tasty game day party food recipes?