Now that I had a fresh batch of the salsa naranja or orange salsa it was time to use it in something and first up was some calamari tacos inspired by Kogi BBQ. Up until I heard about these tacos, I had never even thought about using calamari in tacos and I was immediately enchanted by the idea! The calamari is marinated in a citrus, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and chili powder marinade before being quickly seared at high heat to cook them without turning them rubbery. The tacos are then assembled in corn tortillas with an onion and cilantro relish, a healthy helping of the sweet and spicy orange salsa along with some more sesame seeds and cilantro for garnish. I was a bit surprised by how well the calamari worked in these fresh and tasty tacos and I can easily see them quickly becoming a summer favourite!
Calamari Tacos with Salsa Naranja
Seared, citrus, soy and ginger marinated squid served in corn tortillas with sweet onion and cilantro relish and a tasty orange salsa.
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 pound squid, sliced
- 1 orange, juice
- 1 lime, juice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 thumb ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder or gochugaru (Korean chili pepper flakes)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 12 corn tortillas, lightly toasted
- 1 1/2 cups onion and cilantro relish
- 1 cup salsa naranja
- 4 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Marinate the squid in the orange juice, lime juice, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil and chili powder for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the squid and saute until cooked, about 2-3 minutes.
- Assemble tacos with the squid on the tortillas topped with onion and cilantro relish, salsa naranja and toasted sesame seeds.
Cilantro and Lime Fish Tacos
Chipotle Lime Fish Tacos
Mojito Grilled Fish Tacos with Strawberry Salsa
Sweet Chili Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Spicy Peanut Chicken Tacos