Lately I have been craving for some Tex-Mex flavours and in particular for something with plenty of ooey gooey melted cheese! Quesadillas fit the bill and I was thinking about chicken fajita style quesadillas filled with grilled chicken along with sauteed onions and peppers. These quesadillas would be a great way to use up some leftover chicken fajitas but it is definitely worth it to whip up a batch just to make them! This recipe takes a bit of time if you are making the chicken fajitas from scratch but it is pretty straight forward and easy. When I make quesadillas I like to go with either 2 medium sized tortillas placed on top of each other or one larger tortilla that gets folded over and this time I went with the larger tortillas. I often serve my quesadillas along with a salsa or sauce for dipping but you cannot go wrong with adding a bit of it right inside the quesadilla to hit it up with even more flavour.
As you can see, I like to make my quesadillas nice and thick and they eat like a meal!
Quesadillas can be a bit on the messy side an I like to embrace that and just cover them with salsa and other condiments as it is much more efficient than dipping! :)
Chicken Fajita Quesadillas
Chicken fajitas in quesadilla form; stuffed into a tortilla along with plenty of cheese and salsa and grilled until the cheese has melted and the tortilla is warm and golden brown. Serve with extras salsa, guacamole and sour cream for your dipping pleasure.
- 1/2 pound chicken breast, cut into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 large (10 inch) tortillas
- 2 cups jack and cheddar, shredded
- 4 tablespoons salsa (optional)
- 4 tablespoons guacamole (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- Marinate the chicken in the oil, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper in the fridge for 30 minutes to a few hours.
- Grill the chicken over medium-high heat until cooked, about 2-3 minutes per side. (Reserve the marinade.)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Saute the onions until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the peppers and the remaining marinade and saute until the peppers are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Melt a touch of butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Place a tortilla into the pan, swirl it around in the butter.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese over half of the tortilla followed by 1/2 cup of the chicken fajitas, 1 tablespoon salsa, the remaining cheese and finally fold over the tortilla.
- Cook until the quesadilla is golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.