April is national grilled cheese month and grilled cheese sandwiches have been on my mind a lot so it is no surprise that when I was thinking about what to do with the roast lamb leftovers, a grilled cheese sandwich came to mind. Before I knew it I was thinking about a lamb gyro grilled cheese sandwich filled with all of my favourite gyro fillings including tzatziki, feta, toamtoes and onions. With all of the ingredients pretty much decided the only real question was what cheese was I going to use and a Greek melty cheese like kasseri was definitely the way to go. I was a little concerned that with the tzatziki in the sandwich it might come out a little soggy so I used a nice thick Greek style yogurt, squeezed the excess liquid from the cucumber and used day old bread for the grilled cheese to make sure that everything turned out right and it did. These gyro grilled cheese sandwiches turned out pretty big with all of the fillings but they were oh so good! You can just imagine combining two already great things, gyros and grilled cheese sandwiches and you get something even better!
I served the gyro melts with some of the roast potatoes left over from the roast lamb dinner along with a salad.
Gyro Grilled Cheese Sandwich (aka Gyro Melt)
A massive grilled cheese sandwich with all of the flavours of a gyro including succulent slow roasted lamb, juicy tomatoes, sweet onion, garlicky tzatziki, salty feta, and plenty of melted cheese.
Servings: makes 1 sandwich
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup kasseri or mozzarella, room temperature and shredded
- 2 tablespoons feta, room temperature and crumbled
- 1/4 cup slow roast lamb, warm
- 2 slices tomato, room temperature
- sweet onion to taste, sliced or diced
- 2 tablespoons tzatziki, room temperature
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Butter the outside of each slice of bread, sprinkle half of the cheeses on the inside of one slice of bread, top with the roast lamb, tomato, onion, tzatziki, the remaining cheese and finally the other slice of bread.
- Add the sandwich to the pan and grill until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
Tips for making the perfect grilled cheese sandwich.
Check out The Best Grilled Cheese Sandwiches!
Roast Beef Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Corned Beef Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Guinness Caramelized Onions
The Best Reuben Sandwich
Sweet Chili Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich