Right now we are in the middle of asparagus season and I have certainly been taking advantage of it, picking up several bundles of it each week. Not too long ago I came across the idea of topping a popover with things and I was thinking that an asparagus popover would be a great way to try out the new idea. A popover is a light hollow roll, similar to a yorkshire pudding , that is made with an egg batter that is baked at a high temperature and when it bakes the batter puffs up "popping over" the top of the baking dish. Popovers are normally made in a muffin pan but you can also make them as single large one as I have done here and this allows you to get more toppings on. Since the asparagus seemed kind of lonely on the popover all by itself, I invited double smoked bacon, leeks and cheese as well and turned it into a party!
It turns out that popovers are super easy to make! You pretty much just mix the simple batter, pour it into the hot pan, top it with the toppings and bake it. In under 20 minutes your popover is done and ready to eat! My first attempt at a topped popover, the asparagus and double smoked bacon popover, turned out amazingly well! I really like the light and fluffy texture of the popover and this particular flavour combination of toppings was spectacular! I imagine that this popover would also work well with wild leeks if they were available.
I am definitely taken by the idea of popovers right now! You could top them with pretty much anything and I could easily see them working with sweet toppings as well as savoury and they would work as a breakfast, lunch, dinner or even a snack. I can't wait to experiment with some more popover ideas!
Top the popover with a fried egg to turn it into more of a light meal.
The gratuitous runny yolk shot:
Asparagus and Double Smoked Bacon Popover
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes Servings: 4
Asparagus, double smoked bacon and leeks baked on a puffy popover topped with melted cheese!
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup milk, warm
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup gruyere, shredded
- Bring a pan with 1 inch of water to a boil, add the asparagus and cook until it turns bright green.
- Rinse the asparagus under cold water and pat dry.
- Cook the bacon in a cast iron skillet over medium heat, and set aside on paper towels to drain reserving the grease in the pan.
- Add the leeks to the pan, saute until tender, about 2-4 minutes, set aside and turn off the heat.
- Add the butter to the skillet and let it melt.
- Mix the milk, eggs, flour, salt and pepper and pour it into the pan.
- Sprinkle the asparagus, bacon, leeks and the cheese over the batter in the pan.
- Transfer the pan to a preheated 425F oven and bake until puffed and golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.