Asparagus and hollandaise sauce were practically made for each other! It is such a magical combination of flavours and what better way to try out my first batch of super easy to make blender hollandaise sauce than on some asparagus? Although serving the hollandaise on some simple steamed asparagus would have been amazing, why not kick things up a bit by wrapping the juicy asparagus up in some salty bacon or even prosciutto for a treat? One of my favourite ways to enjoy asparagus is to roasted because the roasting concentrates its flavour and that seemed like the natural way to go with the prosciutto wrapped asparagus. The trick to this prosciutto wrapped asparagus is to try to balance the salty prosciutto with the asparagus so the number of spears of asparagus that you include in each bundle will depend on taste and how thick the asparagus is and I like to go with about 3 medium sized spears per bundle. Having both the asparagus and the hollandaise sauce in the mix already, I could not resist adding a poached egg with a runny yolk to turn the dish into one truly amazing spring breakfast or brunch.
All by itself, the prosciutto wrapped asparagus makes for a great snack or appetizer!
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus with Poached Egg and Hollandaise Sauce
Roast asparagus bundles wrapped in crispy and salty prosciutto topped with a poached egg and lemony and buttery hollandaise sauce.
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup hollandaise sauce
- Wrap the asparagus with the prosciutto with three per bundle.
- Place the bundles on a baking sheet, drizzle with oil and season with pepper to taste.
- Roast in a preheated 400F/200C oven until tender, about 10-30 minutes. (Note: Roasting time can vary greatly depending on how thick your asparagus is.)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and reduce the heat to medium.
- Crack an egg into a bowl, swirl the water in the pot and pour the egg from the bowl into the water and repeat for another egg.
- Let the eggs cook until the whites are set but the yolks are not, about 2-3 minutes and fish them out.
- Serve the prosciutto wrapped asparagus bundles topped with a poached egg and hollandaise sauce.