With summer here fresh herbs are more readily available and that means that it was time for me to try making bánh xèo. Bánh xèo are savoury Vietnamese crepes that are stuffed with various fillings and served wrapped in lettuce leaves along with plenty of fresh herbs such as mint, cilantro, and Thai basil. The name bánh xèo translates to sizzling cake and this is because the crepes are cooked at a higher temperature and sizzle when the batter hits the pan. Cooking the crepes this way gives them a slightly crispy edge. Despite the fact that these crepes look like an omelette they are actually not made with eggs but rather a rice batter where the yellow colour comes from turmeric powder. I decided to keep my bánh xèo on the lighter side and I stuffed them with some quickly sauteed shrimp and shiitake mushrooms along with a healthy helping of bean sprouts and I served them with lettuce, mint, cilantro, basil and a tasty nuoc cham for dipping.
You have to love all of the fresh herbs available during the summer!
Bánh Xèo (Savoury Vietnamese Crepes Stuffed with Shrimp and Mushrooms)
A Vietnamese savoury fried crepe filled with shrimp, mushrooms and bean sprouts that is wrapped in lettuce along with fresh herbs and dipped into nuoc cham, a tasty Vietnamese dipping sauce.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 head lettuce, leaves separated
- * fresh herbs such as cilantro, mint, basil
- 1 batch nuoc cham
- Mix the flour, turmeric, salt, sugar, coconut milk and water until smooth and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Add the shrimp, mushrooms, garlic and the whites of the green onions and saute until the shrimp is almost cooked, about 2-3 minutes and set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium-high heat.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the batter in, swirl it around and sprinkle on 1/2 cup of the bean sprouts over half of the crepe followed by 1/4 of the shrimp and mushrooms and 1/4 of the greens of the green onions.
- Drizzle 2 teaspoons of oil around the edges of the crepe.
- Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook until the edges begin to brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until the bottom is golden brown, about 3-5 minutes.