I am a big fan of quesadillas! I mean what's not to like? They are essentially grilled cheese sandwiches, which I am totally obsessed with, that use tortillas instead of bread. I had not really thought about serving quesadillas for breakfast so when I came across the idea for sausage breakfast quesadillas on Noble Pig I just had to try them! I decided to go with fresh spicy Mexican style chorizo sausages for the meat and I rounded the quesadillas off with some slice jalapeno, green onions and cilantro to provide a small foil for all of the melted cheesy goodness. Speaking of cheese, I went with a combination of cheddar and jack and I used plenty of it! After grilling the quesadillas I sliced them and then served them topped with an egg fried in the leftover grease from the chorizo along with some cool and creamy diced avocado, sour cream and more ciantro. If only I could have these quesadillas every morning for breakfast!
Just look at that absolutely gorgeous runny egg yolk!
Breakfast Chorizo Quesadilla Topped with a Fried Egg
Chorizo and cheese quesadillas topped with a fried egg make for a tasty and satisfying breakfast!
Servings: make 1 serving
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 1 (10 inch) tortilla
- 1/4 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, torn
- 1 egg
- 1/2 small avocado, cubed
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- Grill or broil the jalapeno pepper until tender and slightly charred, about 4-5 minutes and slice it when cool enough to handle.
- Cook the sausage in a pan over medium heat, breaking it apart as you go, about 4-5 minutes.
- Place the tortilla in the pan over medium heat, sprinkle half of the cheese over half of the tortilla, then top with the chorizo, jalapenos, green onion and cilantro and finally the remaining cheese.
- Fold the tortilla in half covering the filling and cook until the quesadilla is golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- Fry the egg in the pan until cooked, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve the quesadilla topped with the fried egg and garnished with the avocado, sour cream and more green onions and cilantro.
Breakfast Queso Fundido
Chorizo Scrambled Eggs Breakfast Tacos
Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Nachos
Ham and Egg Breakfast Quesadillas
Chicken Fajita Quesadillas
Poached Egg on Toast with Chipotle Mayonnaise, Bacon and Avocado
Avocado Breakfast Pizza with Fried Egg
Bacon Jam and Guacamole Quesadilla with Fried Egg with Bacon Jam Vinaigrette Drizzle
Pork Tinga Quesadillas